Monday, June 11, 2012

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Mark Broatch, editor of the Culture section of the Sunday Star-Times, has had his position “disestablished”. In English, he is out of a job, and books/films/music/etc will be covered in the Escape section under Angela Walker.

Mark has been at the SST for five and a half years and has done a sterling job. He’ll be all right – he has published a couple of books, shared last year’s Buddle Findlay Sargeson fellowship to work on a novel, and has high-level editing skills that someone somewhere will want – but I doubt that I will renew my subscription to the paper, and I know others who feel the same.

I bought him a large glass of red wine yesterday – it was the least I could do. But Chad Taylor has gone one better and designed a T-shirt:


I have ordered one in blue.

No comments: