Friday, July 16, 2010

What I’m reading

Matt Nolan thinks both sides are wrong in the tertiary funding debate.

Matthew Dentith has discovered I Write Like, a site that analyses your writing style. It said that he writes like Oscar Wilde. I tried it and it said I write like David Foster Wallace. So I tried again with a different sample. The verdict: Stephen King. I think I’ll quit while I’m ahead.

The Fundy Post (who writes like James Joyce) has a view – of course he has – on the Queen’s Wharf sheds. (Speaking of architectural historians, if you get the Arts Channel don’t miss Gavin Stamp’s Orient Express series in which he travels 2000 miles across Europe following the route of the old Orient Express. He used to write for the Spectator and Private Eye, and talks brilliantly. It is on Thursdays at 9.15 p.m., possibly other days/times too.)

MacDoctor has a good go at anti-obesity campaigners. Sample quote:
Of course, this wouldn’t be the first time a government has found a non-functional solution to a dubious problem that is constructed almost entirely of conjecture and guesswork, would it?
Karl du Fresne has been investigating the consequences of the previous government’s decision to make employers pay intellectually disabled workers the legal minimum wage – and he doesn’t like what he sees. Sample quote:
How come IHC, an organisation supposedly committed to the wellbeing of the intellectually disabled, was party to a law change that seems to have greatly disadvantaged many of the very people it purports to help?
And NZ Wine Blogger announces that he is certified and committed. Sample quote:
If you collapse near me I’m good for about three minutes of CPR – then you're on your own.

3 comments:

Penny said...

David Foster Wallace (twice) then Daniel Defoe. Well fancy that.

Penny said...

Just checked some bloggers: Farrar and Whaleoil, both like David Foster Wallace and, oh dear, Cactus Kate like Dan Brown.

Stephen Stratford said...

I think that David Foster Wallace may be the default setting for "What is this shit?"

I can understand Cactus Kate being rated as Dan Brown - successful, widely read - but Laughy Kate tells me she rated as Tolkein. Epic fail.